Slow-Cooker White Bean and Turkey Chili

I've been aching for chili for awhile now. I've read a hundred various recipes but knew I needed to make something low fat, healthy and delicious. Today we de-decorated the house and watched Football Playoffs, so what better time to eat some chili!

Since 2006, I've been on and off Weight Watchers. I've had great success in the past and recommend it to anyone looking to improve eating habits.

I stumbled upon this recipe on the Weight Watchers site. I believe you may need to be a member of Weight Watchers to read their recipes online, but here is my adapted version below (I served this with a simple salad of spinach, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and black olives topped with a balsamic vinegarette I pulled together).

Enjoy!



Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes
Adapted From: WeightWatchers.com

Ingredients:
2 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
1 large onion(s), chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), chopped
32 oz fat-free chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder, chipotle variety - I didn't have this so I used regular chili powder
30 oz canned white beans, drained and rinsed (Cannellini or Great Northern Beans are fine)
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, coarsely chopped (plus extra for garnish)

Directions:
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned, about 10 minutes; drain off any fat.


Add turkey mixture and remaining ingredients to a 3 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting for at least 4 hours. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

I added a dollop of fat-free sour cream and a bit of cilantro to the top. Yummy!

Doesn't this just look great?


Happy Cooking!

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment