Homemade Salsa

Well something was definitely needed to go with my homemade chips, so why not some homemade salsa?

I stumbled upon this recipe linked in another blog and decided to give it a try. Mostly because salsa in the refrigerated section is really getting expensive ($4 or $5 per tub) and I don't like salsa from a jar. This little recipe pulls together quite quickly. The aroma is amazing too. Then again I love anything with garlic, onions, and tomatoes.

But salsa, oh my, I could eat bowls and bowls of this stuff!!

Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A
Chill Time: 2-4 hours
Adapted From: Annie's Eats

Ingredients:
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and very coarsely chopped - I used a can of green chilis because I didn't have fresh jalapeno or habenero peppers. Next time I will definitely use fresh peppers!
4 cloves garlic, halved
1/2 sweet yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (drained or not, depending on how much liquid you want in your salsa) - I only had a 14.5 oz can, so that's what I used
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
juice of one lime

Directions:
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the jalapenos and garlic. Process until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add all other ingredients to the food processor. Pulse in very brief pulses until the vegetables have reached the size you desire (it does not take many pulses so don’t overdo it). Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.

I made two versions of this. I split the recipe in half and added additional green chilis (or jalepenos). My husband loves hot salsa so this was much better for him. I put the salsa in two different size bowls and plated it with homemade chips. Wow!

Happy Eating!

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment