Salted Double Chocolate Cookies

Wow, two of my favorite things in one recipe? Sea salt and chocolate. Yum!

I found this recipe on a great blog I just recently stumbled across, Confections of a Foodie Bride. I'll be trying a lot more of her recipes in the future. But first I had to try the cookies.



Prep Time: 40-60 minutes
Baking Time: 12-20 minutes

8 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped - I used Ghiradelli 60% chocolate bars because that's what I had on hand
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped (or 1 package chocolate chunks) - I used a package of Semi-Sweet Morsels and banged them with a mallet. I didn't have any other chocolate available and they worked great.
Course-grind fleur de sel, for garnish (I just put regular old sea salt right on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment or silpat (I used Reynold's Non-Stick Release Foil)

Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

Heat chopped chocolate (the 8 oz) and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 25-second increments, stirring in between, until just melted. Allow to cool for a minute or two (I melted the chocolate during the next step).

In the bowl of your mixer, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until the sugar has completely dissolved (4-5 minutes). Reduce speed to low and add the melted (and now slightly cooled) chocolate. Mix until uniform. Add the flour mixture until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chunks (the 12 oz).

**Blog interruption - best cookie dough batter I have EVER tasted. Wow, I could eat tons and tons and tons of this stuff.

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet still soft in centers, 12 to 20 minutes. The original recipe called for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies didn't seem done enough for me, so I added about 8 minutes to my time.

Sprinkle additional salt on the cookies and cool on sheets 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container. The original author recommends enjoying with a tall glass of ice cold milk. Great idea!

Look at these puppies, aren't they gorgeous looking?
 
Happy Cooking!
 
~J

No comments:

Post a Comment