Roasted Kale

Shades of Green: Kale
Kale has always been one of those mystery vegetables. I see it constantly this time of year in the supermarket but never knew if it would be worth purchasing or not. Just recently I've been seeing a lot of recipes that call for kale too. Today I visited the brand new farmer's market at the Piazza in Northern Liberties. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was hoping for more veggie stands and way less baked good stands (too tempting!)

I was a good girl and only bought small potatoes and kale (for less than $4 total). The farmer said he had just cut the kale yesterday morning and it looked amazingly fresh. He had two types, green and purple. I decided for my first venture with using kale, I should stick to something green to be safe.

Prep Time - 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes

Ingredients:
Kale - as much as you would like
1 tsp-1 tbsp Olive Oil (depending on how much kale you use - for 3 large pieces I used less than 1 tsp)
Sea Salt

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix kale with olive oil and sea salt. Place on baking sheet. Cook until kale is crispy (like thin potato chips).

I served the kale as a snack, but you could easily break it up and put it in soup or over a salad. I think kale is a little bitter, but a fun snack. Try it!

Happy Experimenting!

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment