Apple Pie Turnovers/Deconstructed Apple Pie

I found this recipe for Easy Pear Turnovers on Elly Says Opa and I knew I had to try it. Firstly, I love puff pastry (who doesn't?) Secondly, I hate pears. Wait, what? I do hate pears, always have, always will. So instead I used apples.

This recipe was so super easy to make. Great dessert for a night in for two or when company is coming over (you can make ahead and refrigerate).



Prep Time - 20-30 mins or so (about 5-10 mins spent looking for hidden spices and kitchen gadgets)
Baking Time - 25 mins
Rest Time - just enough to let it cool

1 bartlett pear, peeled and cored - remember, I used an apple here...any old apple will do. I think I had a Granny Smith.
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/16 tsp. nutmeg *omitted*
1/16 tsp. cloves *omitted*
1/4 cup raisins
splash of vanilla extract (or almond)
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
turbinado sugar (what is this? - I used regular old sugar)

Preheat the oven to 400.

Cut the pear or apple into small/relatively thin pieces or slices.

TIP #1 - from Rachel Ray - keep a garbage bowl near you and toss all the scraps in there, helps keep your work surface clean and manage all your garbage

Toss the pear/apple together with the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, raisins and extract.

Roll out the puff pastry (in flour) so it’s just a tad larger and forms a square. Cut it into four squares.

Spoon 1/4 of the pear mixture into each square. Fold each square corner-to-corner so it forms a triangle and with wet fingertips (I used a bit of flour on my fingers), pinch the dough together to seal (you can also press down with a fork). Place on a baking sheet.

Here's what they look like:



Lightly beat the egg, and brush the tops of each triangle with it. Sprinkle each turnover with turbinado/coarse sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25, until golden.
 
Next time I make these goodies, I will probably turn the temp down a bit (375 degrees) or bake about 4 minutes less.

Tip #2 - Serve with wine, everything tastes better with wine!
 
Although I'm a neat freak, my kitchen surface tends to get a bit messy when I cook/bake. Here's an example:
 
 
Just remember, it's ok if the recipes don't turn out perfect (like above, a bit too brown). Just get a husband like mine that tells you even if it's really bad, it still tastes great!
 
Happy Cooking!
 
~J

No comments:

Post a Comment